This is cut and pasted from a job posted by CTV looking for a news writer out in BC, Canada. Although this isn't a job for someone just starting out it is great to read, to see what they expect, what a news writer should know and be working with. CTV is a very big mass media corporation.
News Writer Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience Hours of Work: 40 hours per week. Overtime as required. Responsibilities:
- Writing for newscasts, features or programme segments with minimal direction and supervision.
- Adapting to rapidly changing programme situations.
- Responsible for having items written and work with editors for final cut for the five and six o'clock shows.
- Demonstrated ability to write to pictures an asset
- Experience in broadcast writing essential.
- Full knowledge of industry practices and procedures regarding news production and writing.
- Excellent research, analytical and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of legislation governing libel.
- Strong creative abilities and leadership skills.
- Strong journalistic skills and editorial sense.
- Thoroughness and accuracy.
- Ability to deal with multiple demands and pressure of on-air deadlines and corollary need to make immediate and sound decisions.
- Knowledge of the history, geography, and challenges facing the region is desirable.
- Extensive knowledge of British Columbia mandatory.